This is how our bathroom was created. I hate it. Even if this were just a bathtub, not a shower, as originally intended (the rented side actually didn’t have a shower at all until The Hippy came along), a window would still be stupid. Bathtubs=naked, and naked+window=bad idea. I’m just not comfortable with it. So this is what we did for the longest time (like… the last 3.5 years):
The towel provided privacy as well as draft protection in the winter. Again. Who puts a window where you are most certainly going to be naked???
Lately the shower head has been spraying directly on the towel, which is lame. I decided I was tired of hearing the towel drip for hours after every shower, and I needed to do something about it. Luckily, I had an idea, a tension rod, and some leftover notions from a previous curtain project.
Needed: Cheap dollar store shower curtain (with weights), large plastic snap-together grommets, tension rod (not pictured).
Estimated time: <30mins.
I didn’t want the shower curtain to be much longer than the window, since it would get in the way of the soap dish. I roughly measured the size of the towel by holding it against the shower curtain, and went from there. Once you’ve determined the length, start folding down the top (pre-grommeted) side of the curtain at least twice.
Since it’s a lightweight plastic, you don’t need to (in fact, REALLY SHOULDN’T) iron. Just finger press your folds, and they should keep. Since I don’t have a ton of space to lay big stuff out, my folds are not perfect. This isn’t the height of interior decorating, here. If it were, I feel pretty confident there wouldn’t be a damn window in the shower. Yes. I’m bitter.
I not only have a small amount of space, but also a limited amount of patience. I needed 8 holes to match my 8 grommets. instead of cutting 8 holes, I folded my shower curtain lengthwise over and over until I had 8 layers (Folding in half once give you 2, twice gives you 4, thrice gives you 8). I traced the template that came with the grommets and cut through the plastic with a sharpish knife (totally could have been easier if it were even sharper, but it was what I had), and unfolded my curtain to admire my holes. Unfold carefully so you don’t lose the folds you did to the top edge.
Start snapping your grommets in place. These go together fairly quickly. The advantage to plastic grommets–in addition to being lightweight and easy to use–is that you can snap them off and use them in another project later. When your cheap dollar store curtain gets torn or mildewy (that would never happen) or you get bored of white, the only cost to replace is for the curtain itself. Genius.
Thread your curtain on the tension rod (which you’ve fit to just slightly bigger than the opening), hang your curtain, and step back to admire your work. The finished curtain is a little longer than I’d planned. It still covers the soap dish, but not so much that it’s a hassle to get to it. In fact, the curtain is currently propped so that it rests on the dish. No problemo.
And that, my friends, is one of the less-ambitious projects I tackled while on my summer vacations. More to come.